August 8, 2008

Thoughts on the Opening Ceremony

  • There are a lot of countries on this planet. Some I have never even heard of: Andorra, Gabon, Kiribati, Mauritius, Nauru, Sao Tome & Principe, and Seychelles.
  • The drummers at the beginning? Holy crap.
  • The typography performance was awesome.
  • Those cheerleaders, jumping and swaying in high-heel boots while the countries walked in, must have been TIRED. And the poor athletes from the countries at the beginning - they must have had to stand in that hot stadium for like 2 hours! I feel for the Israeli team, who were one of the first to walk in.
  • The finale: wow. I told you China has a penchant for pageantry!
I'm so glad I got to visit and take photos of the Olympic buildings on my trip to Beijing. Time well spent.

The Bird's Nest

Water Cube & Bird's Nest

That last photo is attracting some serious attention on flickr. From the 7th to the 8th It's been viewed over 100 times and currently stands at 408 views. Nuts! By far the most popular of my pictures. Perhaps people like to see what the area looked like, almost like a vacant lot, just 3.5 months ago.

No comments: