October 12, 2007

First Post

Today I received confirmation of my flight for the initial 8-day visit to Shanghai, so I thought I'd set up this blog. I booked my seats on the Boeing 777 from O'Hare to Pudong, which was interesting. Everyone at work recommended a site called www.seatguru.com where you can see which seats have power outlets, which seats are likely to be noisy, and things like that. I'm traveling with an engineer friend of mine, so I got a seat across the aisle and down a row from him. I'm not too worried about not having a power outlet.

14+ hours on a plane, not to mention the time spent waiting in airports. I'll certainly buy some new books for the trip. I also plan on getting a Nintendo DS to help pass the time. Plus a notebook and pen for scribbling down random thoughts over the Pacific Ocean. And some earplugs. Definitely earplugs.

A friend suggested getting some eye drops because my eyes will dry out on the plane, and some lotion because my hands will dry out on the plane, and pretty much everything is supposed to dry out when you're sealed in a metal tube hurtling through the air for over half a day.

The longest flight I've ever been on was from Maryland to California. My current flights now are mainly from Austin back to Maryland, which is about 3 hours. I don't know, I think I'll be fine. But I learned a new phrase tonight: Economy class syndrome :-)

No comments: