February 26, 2008

Addenda

  • So, I figured out the equivalent of the "measurement words" in English. It's like how you say, a gaggle of geese, a pride of lions, or a murder of crows or things like that. You've got to be specific -- but if you can't be (who is going to remember all of those?) you can just say like "a bunch" or "a group". I think now that I've made this analogy, it'll be easier for me to understand how things work.
  • I talked with one of my co-workers today about the le word ... and it doesn't mean a change in state, it just is there to describe a state. So, wo e le describes me as having the state of being hungry. Wo bao le is the opposite - I have the state of being full. So I guess if I wanted to say I'm happy, I would say wo kuai le. Which isn't too hard to guess, given that all I heard at the beginning of this month was Xin nian kuai le - "New Year Happy", or, as you may have guessed, "Happy New Year".
  • You can say ba at the end of a sentence to indicate that it's a command, kind of like an exclamation point. Ne ge chi ba would mean "Eat that!" Which is what I'll be saying to myself when I'm staring down a plate of deep-fried bees this weekend ... muhahaha.
Okay, that's all for now :-)

No comments: